Hello! This is a blog for my illlustration work.
All works © helen dodsworth.
Please do not reproduce without the expressed written consent of helen dodsworth.
Thank you!

Monday 20 July 2015

Mummy and Me Bake (DK Books)



I was very happy to get my copy of this book, it’s my first book for DK Books that I have been the sole illustrator for which was exciting!

 
For this commission I worked with another great senior designer, Hannah Moore. Hannah would give me a brief for the illustrations she wanted and then she added the photos and the text. I really like the way she added the photos of the veg underneath on this one.
 
 
I really enjoyed drawing the little bouncy olives
 
 
I think the veg pages were my favourites!
 
 
Keeping the illustrations very simple, with any people drawn in a childlike style, was key for this project. It was also good practice for me in drawing in a freer, doodling way.
 
 
I loved how playful and inventive Hannah was in adding the photos, the broccoli trees are brilliant (I do love broccoli though so I might be slightly biased)
 
 
As well as all the great recipes it also has some good educational sections
 
 
The teddy bear crops up a few times throughout the book. I love the cheerfulness of this page design, think I might make that cake myself too!
 
 
Here he is in a few of the other pages
 
 
I also enjoyed adding a few little bees and bugs to a page on making 'blossom biscuits'
 
 
 
I like the idea of a building made out of blocks of brownies, would be a bit too hard to resist though I think!
 
 
This book was great fun to work on, doodling over the top of these pasties to turn them into chickens didn't feel like work at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment